Friday, February 13, 2015

The "scape"

 If you've ever been to West Africa, there's no way to describe or picture the striking and contrasting beauty that captures you.  Maybe it's just because I'm pregnant, but I tear up just looking at the above picture...I was crying IN the picture.  These women keep our office clean, the tea out at tea break, and the sheets in the guest house sparkling clean.  Victoria, on the right, was also my house help and close friend as I walked into marriage and through the first year and a half.  Seeing these humble, joyful women reminded me of so many things I LOVE about Africa.  The warm embrace, the charisma that marks each happy moment, the remembering that colors each reunion, and the unfettered love.  These women love me, and I love them.  Shi ke nan! (That's it!) 
Dust is everywhere in Jos now.  Harmattan (sand off the Sahara) leaves a thin layer everywhere, not to mention we're in the middle of 7-8 months of dry season.  Yet these flowers bloom, the trees behind are still green, and under the mountain in the distance flows fresh water that is bottled for human consumption. 

The "scape" of Nigeria, from the people to the land, is resilient and truly beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...