Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Bible Translation Again? Casting vision..

"You want to tell me about Bible translation again?  What about the people dying, the terrorism happening in this country!  Why are you wasting resources on Bible translation?" said my colleage, John, in the skit we performed to drive home how Bible translation can equip the church to respond to terrorism in Nigeria on Monday night.




I had arrived in the office at 10am where I found out the one who was supposed to present that same Monday afternoon with John was sick with fever.  I spent a few hours before the presentation pulling together answers to the questions he was going to fire at me during the skit including, "The people can't read, how will Bible translation help them." and "Using different languages in the church divides the church!" and "English is the most powerful language, if you say "In Jesus name" in English, the Devil really is scared."  The next hour was spent unfolding the case for Bible tranlation and it's impact on the church.  We revealed the history of ancient churches that stood firm in the face of Islam because they had Scripture in their language.  We discussed how Christianity teaches people to respond in love, to give grace, and to pray for your enemies...to understand this message, is to becomes strong in Christ.   We reminded the believers that Christianity is a translated religion and how God wanted people to understand and know him, so he translated himself, in the person of Christ Jesus. 

I felt totally ill-equipped to present that evening, but God did a wonderful thing.  One man stood up and testified, "I have been in church my whole life.  Then I heard Ephesians from the audio Bible in Mwaghavul, my language.  I had never understood it like that.  The Bible talks about God's people, the Jew, but I knew I was not Jew. I heard that because of Jesus, the the Mwaghavul man and the Jew have become one.  That never made sense to me before as it did in my language."  Praise God.


These two young men stayed after, with many others, to locate their language on the map.  John even gave them the audio translation in their language off of his computer!  What a beautiful evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...