Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Old People

Benjamin is young. He came late on the first day. I, Christy, wasn't sure if he was really serious about the training we were hosting to lead audio Bible studies in the Nyankpa language.
Day two, though, I saw he was committed to being there, had learned the questions by heart, and was ready to thoughtfully think about questions given to him.
Day three, the participants went out to share what they had learned in the community by doing what we had taught them to do, play the audio Bible and then ask a series of questions without teaching or preaching.

Later in the day, we met in groups to discuss who they felt God wanted them to start a group with and why.  Benjamin was in my group.  When I asked him who he wanted to start with he said, "the old people in my neighborhood and their old neighbors."  I asked, "Why do you want to go to the old people?"  He said, "Today, after our first Bible study, I wanted to do another one because we had more time.  I went into one compound and there was an old woman there.  I asked her if I could share with her.  She said yes.  When she heard, she was so happy.  She said, "I have been going to church and not understanding the Hausa they are using, but today, I have heard God's Word.  Will you come back and share with me again?" I want to go back to her."

Pray that Benjamin and the other 26 people who received this training and went away with the audio Scriptures will be faithful to go and do what they planned and feel called to do.
Pray that the Word will be truly heard and touch many hearts in Nyankpa land.  Benjamin was one of three groups who went to old people.  Every group reported that the listeners said the same thing, "I have been hearing and not understanding, until today."  Oh, may they hear and understand, and fall in love with Jesus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...