Monday, June 8, 2015

Oh, How the Wind Blows!



I nap quietly, my husband, sick with an unnamed fever lies on the other couch, hot, occasionally moaning.  Before we drifted off to sleep, we read the story “Sighting Day” from “Tales of the Kingdom” by Karen and David Maines.  I awaken to a violent blowing!  The mango tree behind our house beat it’s long branches, rustling on our tin roof.  The wind rattled our windows.  I jump up excited that a storm is coming.  The sunny sky turns grey, and every promise of a great rain is made by the threatening sky.

I remember how my water tubs remained empty because I wanted to wait for the free rain instead of filling them with water we had to buy.  I remember Zach’s words, “At the beginning of June, it doesn’t rain every day, Christy.”  But I remained hopeful, and now it is about to pay off.  The rain is coming.  I run outside to reposition the water basins under the roof runoff, and go back in to wait.  I awaken again to a gentle rain, and think, “Oh, it’s started!”  I wake up a few minutes later, the wind still blowing, the rain a bit harder, and I go outside to see how much they have filled only to find 6 inches in the bottom of one of the two tubs.  The rain slows to a trickle.  I feel cheated out of my rain.  All that blowing for nothing!

I come back in the house, look at my husband who finally managed to sleep, and think, “I sure am glad God isn’t like that storm…full of promises, but empty and disappointing.”  It has been more than three weeks now that Zach has been on and off sick.  I wonder why God does not seem to be answering our prayers for him.  Is it our lack of faith?  Do we not pray right?  Are we supposed to be learning something extremely useful and are just missing it?  I don’t know.  But I DO know that my God   who rides on the clouds is not a big empty wind.  He always comes through with what he promises.  The rains are coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...