Friday, September 11, 2015

Two, Three, Four!

--> We are learning to count up as our family expands.  Daso is now our little girl, on loan from Falaka and her husband for this term of school.  



I sat on the side of the pool watching Zach pull Daso and Salama (staying with us for the week) around the pool, teaching them to swim then escaping in time while they tried to catch him.  I held  Mariama in my arms as the bright Nigerian sun beat on my outstretched legs. For a first timer, Daso was extremely brave!  She jumped into the pool, practiced putting her head under, and trusted me to throw her into the air (though she didn’t let me do it again.)  Her laughter rang out into the air, making me giggle, as she tried to race Salama (Victoria’s 12-year-old daughter) across the pool, her legs and arms working hard to no avail in the chest deep water.
These are beautiful days as I take in the dynamic scenes of my little family.  Zach takes every opportunity to teach a lesson: “If each egg is 25 naira, Daso, how much will it cost to fill this crate?  Get the cuisinaire rods!” or “…feel this metal spoon, now this plastic one” (referring to his tea cup that he has filled with various utensils) …I don’t know if he ever did get to drinking tea out of it, but at least the hot water wasn’t wasted!   
To the question of do you know what a conductor is, Daso replied “Yes, I know, conductor, like on the bus.  He collects the money. (and in the same sentence) Can we go jump on the trampoline today?”  She knows she has to get that in before the next lesson begins.
 
Daso is to start school on Monday, the 14th of September.  Today her siblings start school where they live, and I know she is missing being there to go with them.  Please pray that God will help us make a home where she feels loved and secure, and that we will find ways to keep her connected to her family while making her part of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...