Monday, September 14, 2015

First Day of School!




Oh my, what unexpected tears as we prayed last night for Daso before her first day of school.  She is such a gem, shimmering and bright in a world that suffocates such beauty.  But this morning came and I couldn’t hide my excitement as well.  After she returned from a run with Uncle Zach I said brightly, “OK, go and get your uniform on!”  She skipped away with a big smile on her face and I’m sure a few jitters in her stomach. 
The four of us, Uncle Zach, Daso, and Mari wrapped close to my front headed for the road to climb into a keke around 7:10am.  I was in a tizzy because I had timed the journey and we needed 20 minutes to arrive at school by 7:30.  I forgot that in a world of public transport and event oriented timing, the first day of school would probably be more relaxed.  I was glad that we took time along the way to kosai (fried bean cakes) when we arrived at 7:31 to find the teachers in meetings, the students having the all too familiar opportunity for the children in the schoolyard  to stop playing and chattering to freeze at the sight of two white people on the premises.  I hope Daso wasn’t too embarrassed, but she did ask me to stay after we met her teachers, which I think was a good sign that though my presence caused a lot of extra attention being sent her way, she preferred that to being alone in her new environment. 
Being American, we were one of two parents we saw bringing their children to school on the first day, and we made sure to take lots of pictures.  She’ll thank us later, though her smile was not exactly enthusiastic.   We waited until after the singing and pledges of morning assembly before sneaking a wave in and heading out the door. 
I can’t wait to hear how it went! 

Daso’s prayers before going to school:
That I would stay away from bad friends
That all the children would listen to the teachers
That she would learn what they are trying to teach me

My prayers for Daso:
That she would find a couple of really good friends
That she would feel loved by her teachers and accepted in the school
That we would have a good routine in the mornings
That we would have wisdom to help her handle difficult situations











No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...