Sunday, March 10, 2013

Can God use Rap?

Years ago, God gave me a good friend who created raps for any number of occasions to spice them up or add a touch of depth. He inspired me, and I am always amazed at how many opportunities I have to share this with others! In Holland Public Schools, my students sang raps in spanish about simple machines, mammals, and plants. In Cameroon at the parent run school, my students rapped also about simple machines, but this time in English. They rapped about matter, magnetism, Scripture, and many, many other things. Five years later my students sang these raps to me when I was leaving Cameroon. At GIAL in Dallas, Texas my group performed an ironic rap on "Inhibition." In Cameroon I write raps before birthday parties to present to my single friends with choruses that everyone joined in on. I've carried this tradition on on Nigeria. In Nigeria we rapped for the work Christmas party about Jesus becoming taking on flesh. My neighbor Jerry joined me in this, and later I recorded a rap for him called "You're a Masterpiece" which appears on this first album. A couple of weeks ago I presented to a group of education students at a nearby seminary on interactive teaching methods. I had them write raps they could use in their classrooms. Finally, I resurrected an idea I did at GIAL a couple years ago at the Primer writing workshop at NBTT on "Functors." With natural rhythm and God given enthusiasm, the participants sang about "the, is, at, and -ing" with great gusto. I am thankful for this friend and how his gift passed on to me has blessed so many. Who ever knew God could use rap in so many powerful ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...