Saturday, July 13, 2024

We Can Read Our Language!

 

Christy dances with women who have waited a long time for this joyous day. Photo credit: Shadrach Yusuf

 
The old women who I (Christy) danced back from the river with were effervescent. Their stamina amazed me. The next day, as people left the Bible dedication, I saw four of the women I had danced down the road with, their eyes aglow, waiting to talk with me.

"Did you get it?” I asked them. “Did you get the Bible in Bwatiye?"

"No,” they said, we cannot get it."

I asked them to wait a minute. I stepped away and I bought four Bibles and transition primers to help them learn to read their language. But what if they couldn’t read at all?

"Can you read?" I asked

"Yes! We can read in our language!"

"You read in Bwatiye?"

With big proud smiles on their faces they said, "Yes, we have a reading class every week. We can read our language!" "Well, now you can read the Bible then." They all hugged me and I melted… they were so beautiful and eager. How I delighted in their joy in the Word and how I thank God that I will get to dance with them in eternity!

Please pray that the literacy classes in the Bwatiye language will continue and many will learn to read the Bible for themselves! There is also an audio version of the New Testament. Pray that many will get it and use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Created and Chosen

"For it is by grace, you have been saved..."  sing Auntie Blessing and the 70 children in the afternoon group with their hands rai...