Saturday, July 13, 2024

Go Away!

There were children. Always so many children. Our children are a magnet for other children and so everywhere we go, they follow us giggling, trying to touch their hair, take their hands. The Bible dedication was no different. The group of children grew and grew, watching and commenting on my children's every move until the adults around said, "Go away!" They did, and then slowly crept back to continue their entertainment.

The plenary speaker, Bishop Kwashi (in maroon), greets the chief’s representative (in blue). In the background are many children behind the Yoder children. Photo credit: Shadrach Yusuf 

 

Then I (Christy) had an idea! I told them to follow me. I walked with them to a space behind a building and taught thema song in their own language using a Bible verse read poorly by me. They pronounced it well, of course—better than I did—and they learned the song and the dance movements easily. We walked back into the tent and they sat behind me, with purpose now because they were going to perform with me. When they got to talking, I would turn and say, "Shhhh..." and they would because now they had a part to play.

 

One of the lead boys sings “God’s Word is not chained” in the new Bwatiye translation. Photo credit: Shadrach Yusuf 

They did perform the song in front of all those people. It was beautiful. They did a lovely job. Two of the boys that were the leaders of the group, received their own transitional primer and Bible. When I handed it to them, the whole group of thirty children gasped. I told them they couldn't keep it to themselves, they had to teach their friends. They nodded solemnly. Please pray that God will call someone to disciple these Bwatiye children and that these two boys will lead the way.

All the children parade around the field singing “God’s Word is not chained” in Bwatiye. Photo credit: Shadrach Yusuf 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What could one verse in Ndokwa do?

I love to hear stories about God's Word changing lives.  Here in Nigeria I heard about one in a language that is a full day's journe...