Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Mosquito Net Lesson 2 : Velcro Feet


They say the guy who invented Velcro observed a dog with a burr on it.  He obviously had never lived in Nigeria in dry season or he’d only have to look down at his feet! Honestly, who needs to bend down and pick up the stray baby clothes lying on the floor?  One only has to walk across the room, and you’ve collected articles of clothing as you go!  I affectionately call them my Velcro feet.

After I tuck the mosquito net, I pull my legs into the bed for a nights rest, only to realize that the mosquito net has attached itself to my feet.  I kick both my feet, trying to get them to help each other, but more and more net become entangled around my Velcro feet.  I get annoyed, re-tuck, and pull those feet in before the net has a chance. 

 

Prayer house on Zach's recent retreat.







What lesson can one possibly learn from Velcro feet?  “Beautiful are the feet of him who brings good news…” (Is. 52:7). I know this is poetic because messengers running over rough terrain in that time certainly had rough feet.  However, the meaning of it touches me deeply. If the “word of Christ dwells in us richly,” (Col. 3:16) it overflows into our lives, making our presence sweet to those around us who God has prepared to hear this good news.  We are ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor 5:20), bringing that good news, and therefore, we have beautiful feet! 

 



 

However, I think the dryness of this season, which causes the cracked, calloused, dry Velcro feet is a good reminder. When we let our soul well run dry, the negative attitudes, defensiveness, and unkind speech that is scattered around our lives will surely attach themselves to us.  Our feet are only beautiful if they bear GOOD NEWS!

 

My prayer in this mosquito net lesson is that in every season, no matter how parched the situation threatening my soul is, that I will be a bearer of good, sweet, constructive words and attitudes.  That the good news of Christ WILL dwell in me richly, making my feet truly beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...