Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Sleeping On the Job

Right now I am sitting on my sofa in a dimly lit living room with two babies sleeping on the nursing pillow.  I could get rich on the number of adorable pictures I have of these two in funny positions, falling asleep on the job. It is their ONLY job.  Eat, be satisfied, grow!





The other day, as I expressed into their mouths, the milk dribbling down their slack jaws, I thought, "God doesn't force feed us, does he?  If we don't want anymore, does he keep trying to get us to eat?"  I was looking for an excuse to just stop and go to bed probably.

Then it hit me, "No, he doesn't force anything, but even if we are "sleeping on the job" when we are supposed to be craving nourishment from him, alert and ready to enjoy all the good things he gives, he doesn't stop making his abundant life available.  When we get lazy, God still gives us all we need, longing for us to thrive!"

That's grace.  I'm listening to Desiring God by John Piper, and he quotes CS Lewis from his book "Weight of Glory,"

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased. (25–26)

I'm so thankful God continues to offer abundant life and sweet fellowship with himself to us.  Now it is to pray that we are not too easily pleased, but have an insatiable hunger for more of him! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Collaboration, vulnerabity and trust

From Tuesday through Thursday, leaders of 24 Bible Translation organizations have gathered to discuss how we can work together more intenti...